Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hey Hermano! There’s always money in the banana stand!



So Memorial day weekend is now over. <sad face> and I did enjoy relaxing. There is a slight bit of greed in me that wishes it was memorial week instead, but hey, 3 days weekend is nice after a 5 month stint of no days off. At least the extra day was nice to have.

There were a few activities this weekend that I enjoyed. One of them cooking based, but I will get to that one later. And I put my flag out every day this weekend too!

Really the main thing I wanna explore today is the arrested development marathon I had!

So before starting it I (naturally) wanted to re-watch the series (3 seasons) over again. But sadly by the time the bell came - a – tolling for me to start season 4, I had only gotten about half way through season 2. But that’s ok. It’s not like I haven’t seen them before.

Season 4 came out Sunday “morning” as it were but I didn’t start the marathon until Sunday evening. And then finished (eventually) on Monday.

So I must say to start off that I give major props to Netflix for doing this. I think it was smart on their end. I just don’t think TV is the exact right place for the show, BUT I do think it is the right format if that makes sense. I don’t think a movie would work as well with the way the show flows. And this way people can watch it WHEN THEY WANT. Which is the best thing about on demand in general. I don’t have to wait until 8pm wed night to see my fav show. I can watch it at 2am when I can’t sleep or 5:30pm when I get home from work. It does not matter! And that is the kind of grouping I think arrested development fits in. It fits in a more non-conformist kind of crowd. So I am in hopes it will be successful on Netflix. I’m certainly happy they did it.

Now I gotta say with a show that has been off the air for 7 years, there are just going to be some things that are different. And one of those being - how people look. So I can’t help but comment on it. However I was surprised at the people who… kind of didn’t age. The dad – George Bluth looks the same, as does Michael, GOB, Buster, Tobias (well, he looks like he’s gained a tiny bit of weight, but not really noticeable.) The mom has aged a little, and of course so have the kids (by the way- you don’t want to watch it on super HD. It looks far more scary!). Really Maybe’s voice totally threw me off since it got so much deeper!

The high and lows of looks? Unfortunately the one who looked the most different of the main characters was Lindsey. Enough that it was almost unsettling and distracting to look at her. She looked a lot better with short hair…. But still. It would really only look like her when she smiled. And Steve Holt? I didn’t even recognize him!  The high? Liza Minnelli looked great! She looked better than she did in the original series I thought actually! Way to go Liza!

The first episode is rough. Not that it is poorly written or anything, just that it is rough to watch this character become a bit more like the rest of the Bluth family. And you can’t help but feel really bad for the guy. Still enjoyable none the less. But ugh. I think it was a bit of a tough start. And as the series gets going you can feel the flow of the show come back more and more. So a little bit of a rocky start (because they are trying to explain things) but it starts to get it’s groove back. I don’t know what my fav episode of the season is yet, but I squeal with delight several times at different episodes.

All in all there are a TON of characters who re-appear. If only for a few brief moments or up to several episodes. Which is awesome. It continues to self reference itself as always, as well as make Andy Griffith show jokes (which I just can’t help but love), along with other shows as well. Ron Howards voice is back narrating, and his presence is in the show as well. The only character that felt a little differently written to me was the mother. But I could be wrong. But all in all, it’s very similar. The structure is a little different. It’s focused on some members of the family more for some episodes than others (which thinking about how they much have had to budget things out makes a LOT of sense) and it all kind of leads up to this one big night. Which does make the structure a bit different from the other seasons, but I’m ok with that. So instead of being linear, it’s very go back in time each episode to explain what is going on kind of thing, and then leads up to this one night.

BTW: the music is the same (meaning the quirky little songs they use for sequences they had before, get recycled in this season.) which I am so happy about. Sometimes you worry they won’t get the rights to things, but thankfully that was clearly not an issue here. There is some slight advertising in the series, but once again - I get you gotta do what you gotta do to make the show. I was very ok with it.

I think it was done well though, and I want to go back and re-watch season 4 so I can get more of what I missed! It’s a fun ride and it is clearly left open for more seasons. More-so than when the show was originally cancelled. And I will happily come back for more. I hope it has done well for Netflix. I will love to see the stats on it when they come out. How many people joined up for it, and how many watched it this weekend.

Hope I didn’t spoil anything for you! But I will say, if you are a fan of the series, you will enjoy season 4. Not life shattering awesome, but totally enjoyable none the less!

And for your pleasure:



No comments:

Post a Comment