Saturday, May 18, 2013

Beef Stroganoff Food Adventure!



So this week in my dining experiences I decided to put a healthier twist on an old classic my mom used to make. Beef Stroganoff. She used to make it almost every time the missionaries came over for dinner, and sometimes when friends came over for dinner as well. That is to say, this was typically a “company” meal, one that would be eaten in the dining room on the china, and not normally a family dinner kind of thing. (don’t think too crazy, my mom actually used the China way more than normal people do)
                                                                         
So my mom would make it with the typical ingredients. Egg noodles (which my dad would put a blob of butter into while mixing it… and OH      MY      GOSH   they would be amazing. I would just want a bowl of noodles half the time.), and cream of mushroom soup, as well as sour cream. I didn’t love it as a kid though, I blame the mushroom soup.

I had some extra ground beef left over the other day and thought of my mom’s stroganoff and decided to tweak the recipe here and there to make it more healthy. Making it Gluten free, and using Coconut Oil instead of butter and making my own “cream of anything” soup instead of the scary ones you get in the store. Among other tweaks as well.




I think it looks pretty good!



While it does have a different flavor (a little but more tangy because of the yogurt) I still really liked it and would eat it again. I want to do some more tweaking however, so I’m still working on that. I think next time I may try it with Chicken to make it even more Healthy!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 Package Trader Joes Brown Rice Fusilli Noodles
1/2 pound ground beef
1 “can” cream of anything soup (see below on how to make this gluten free healthier soup! It is awesome for cooking with recipes that call for a “cream of something” type of soup in it.*)
1 tsp Sea Salt
½ cup Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
Pepper to taste

~First fix noodles (I like to cook them while I am working on everything else by using more than 1 pot, but it’s up to you) By getting a large pot, putting water in it about half way (a quart?) and letting it come to a boil.
~Put Brown noodles into pot (I tend to only put in about a cup and a half at a time. But that is because I am making single servings for myself.) and let cook in boiling water for about 7-10 mins. (the particular type of noodles I used came out best at 7 mins.)
~Strain Noodles and put aside.
~Into Separate pan spray cocnot oil on pan and then put raw ground beef into it in little chunks.
~Cook & brown the Ground Beef to your liking (which can take anywhere between 12- 15 mins). I like to put in a little sea salt & pepper, a little olive oil (about 1 tsp) and a little trader joes 25 seasoning salute while cooking the meat. Just dashes of each.
~Drain the fat from the pan and Put aside.
~Cook the cream of anything soup.* And add ½ cup of Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt and mix in well. Then Add Sea Salt and then the ground beef. Mix well till it looks white, creamy, and awesome.
~Grab bowl and add Noodles and put some of the stroganoff, and put just a dash of pepper on top, and now you have dinner!

YUMMY!

*Gluten Free Cream of Anything Soup:
Ingredients:
1 cup cold milk
2 Tbs Cornstarch
1 ½ Tbs Coconut Oil (liquefied)
1 tsp Poultry seasoning
½ tsp Salt
Dash of pepper

~In a small saucepan whisk Milk and cornstarch until well blended.
~Stir in Coconut Oil, Seasoning, Salt and Pepper.
~Heat to boil, stirring frequently.
~Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment