Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Kevin’s Wedding



6/6/2015

For those of you who may or may not know, I lived in Colorado and Kansas for a little time in my life. And one of the biggest chunks was spent in the Colorado Springs area (for those of you familiar with the area-  I lived in Monument, Colorado Springs directly, and Fountain… so from one end to the other). In that place I met some amazing people. Lifelong friends, and people whom I love so much, that it is very special when I see them.

This trip round I saw 2 groups of people, who pretty much consider me members of their family. One so much so, that I actually have a certificate commemorating it.

When Kevin (who would be considered my little brother) was getting married, I felt I needed to make the effort to go out and be there. I thought about it as I looked through flights and car rentals, and considered cost and taking time off work, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I would regret not going more than any amount I could spend. So it was settled, I was going to Colorado.

Despite the insanity of getting there (Please see previous post) it was completely worth it.

I got to stay with a family I just adore up in Monument. And after arriving in the wee hours of the morning, had breakfast, talked, showered and was on my way! The wedding itself was lovely. In the chapel, and the bride and groom (as well as the families) looked beautiful. Full of love, hope and excitement. And the level of joy that was expressed when they got to see me (after it having been a few years since the last time I came out. I think maybe early 2012 or possibly even 2011?) was so wonderful.

I got to sit with my surrogate parents during the ceremony, which was lovely. Then pictures (naturally) and then the festivities began! One of the highlights being root beer floats!

The hall was lovely. Cute flowers inside mason jars (A very fun summery look) along with a beautiful cake trio! It was very cute. Kevin’s brother (AJ) was the DJ and chose a great assortment of music for the party! I mean, time after time I knew the songs. Only 1 song was played that I wasn’t familiar with, which was impressive since most of them were not modern.

Now I was doing ok, (which was surprising considering the fact that I had not slept in about 30ish hours by then (seriously, read the previous post). But it came time for the big dance I had requested. The YMCA.

You might say “why would you request the YMCA at a wedding? No sweet sappy romantic song?” No good sir or madam! I requested it because no wedding is complete without the YMCA. Plus – it was my mom’s favorite song to dance to at weddings. She just thought it was hilarious. And of course, she is correct.

So we get to it and we end up forming a pretty big U with most of who was still around. Some of my new found friends of Kevin’s (who I spent a good time laughing with) and some family all came together to dance the YMCA. As I was giving my all to the spirit of the dance I felt myself feeling the great need to take a nap in the middle of the floor. It hit me. The lack of sleep and the insane traveling. I was out of breath and my body wanted to give out.

It did not. Because I kept going and finished the song (which felt like an extra-long song by the way.). I didn’t think I would make it, but did. I was worried I was out of shape, but then realized-  I was exhausted and at a very high elevation. Well, that, and I am out of shape.

Total blast though. I hung around for a while after the wedding socializing with them until pretty much until closing down the church. But it was wonderful to be with them on such a special day. And it was wonderful to be with my Monument peeps as well.

It was a very fast weekend. (I seriously did not sleep until 10:45 that night. Which meant I went about 41 hours without sleep.) Consequently my body has informed me I’m not 19 anymore and can’t do this kind of nonsense without problems like catching a cold and just generally being tired. But worth it.

Love those people so. And they all asked me to come back for a longer stay next time. And Hopefully I will be able to. Probably not before next year, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment